Martini

Martini
yummy yummy cheers!

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Can you trust your sources...?

Hello all!
There are so many people out there who give out inaccurate nutrition information. Anyone who might be interested in nutrition supplementation might have wondered into their neighborhood GNC, Vitamin World, or drug store. First let me add that the best source of vitamins and minerals is from a healthy, balanced diet. But there are some instances where supplementation is necessary. So I will share my personal story with my run in with a so called "Nutrition Expert".

I was cutting back some calories to help lose some weight as well as upping my usual work out routine. I knew that by cutting out some calories I would be at risk of cutting out some nutrients, as well as potential energy sources. I decided to go to GNC to get a multivitamin as well as some good old Omega-3 (my favorite - helps with my knee problems). Since the store was pretty much dead, which is usually, I was bombarded with a worker who wanted to know if I wanted any help. Well, I knew what I was going for so I said "No." Of course he had to continue pressing me and asked what I was getting. I explained a women's multivitamin in which I had already picked out the GNC brand Active Woman Multivitamin, and some omega-3 supplements. He then proceeded to drag me over to show me these "very effective" omega supplements. 
"So how are they effective?" I had to imply, not hesitating to add "Don't bullshit me, I am a nutrition student at the university down the street, so humor me."
He then proceeded to say that it had something to do with the fact that this involved medium chain amino acids for better energy and absorption as well as causing weight loss. Oh and how I should take 2 with every meal, along with 6 of the multivitamin a day, 2 with each snacks.

Ummmm....BULLSHIT!
1. How can fat cause you to lose fat?
2. Medium chain fatty acids a generally very intolerable...you want me to take 6 tablets a day, not to mention the bottle cost about 80 bucks. What the fuck kind of fish is this oil coming from? Dover sole and caviar? The only weight loss here is gonna be from diarrhea and vomiting. Luckily I am one of the few people who does not get this awful side effect. 
3. I do not expect a worker at GNC to memorize the contents of every bottle of vitamins in the store. But please! Don't pretend that you know all of the dosages of every product in the store at the top of your head. If I took that much of the vitamin supplement a day, I would be much into the upper limits of many of the fat soluble vitamins...which is toxic.

He then proceeded to tell me he was also a nutrition major and graduated (God knows where because he failed to mention where) a couple years ago. I know the market is bad, but no wonder he is working at GNC. He didn't learn shit in school. Oh and taking one nutrition class and working at GNC doesn't really make you a "nutrition expert" as you so claim.

If a normal person went into the store and believed this information they have the potential to become very ill.

I could get into a whole tangent on how there are many people publishing inaccurate information all over the internet about what is suppose to be healthy when it comes to foods, but that would be just a bunch of boring information that you might not be all that interested in. So buyer beware! Read the back of the vitamin bottle, just because it is not a "drug" and is natural, does not mean there are not some adverse effects. Otherwise I do recommend the GNC multivitamin below...very affordable and take two a day and you are solid. Remember to take with a meal and a tall class of water.



Cheers and much love!

1 comment:

  1. spread the word girl - i just wrote a blog about DSHEA and the laws surrounding supplementation. we NEED to educate consumers!

    ReplyDelete